Sugarcane Juice is the essence of dried sugarcane, condensed in an iron pan through the traditional handcrafted sugarcane production process (using sugarcane residue as fuel, hot filtration through ceramic filters, stirring and pouring the juice into wooden molds), supplemented with a cooling filtration system consisting of reverse and forward filtration.
Sugarcane Juice is unrefined and contains 100% intact natural sweetness. It’s a source of vitamins, minerals, and essential nutrients for the body.
The natural sweetness in raw sugarcane juice makes it nutritious, healthy, and valuable. It stands out compared to refined sugar, as well as the “sweetness” of common sugar substitutes and artificial sweeteners that are prevalent today.
Raw Sugarcane Juice – “Conservative Sweetness” of Quang Region
In this final sugarcane mill, the people of Quang region always say “NO” if you want to CHANGE bat-shaped sugar into cube-shaped sugar, REPLACE ordinary lime with clamshell lime, ADD a filtration system, REDUCE straw from the preservation process…
Every change, addition, or subtraction is met with a resounding “NO” – “We must follow exactly what our ancestors did in the past.” Any attempt by Noom to suggest improvements to raw sugarcane juice is met with a solid “NO” from the mill workers, like a concrete wall.
However, it’s challenging. Noom is determined to make improvements because the only way to sustain the traditional sugarcane craft that has been practiced for hundreds of years is to balance tradition and modern consumption practices. Any traditional product, no matter how artistically refined, loses its essence if it lacks practical application in people’s lives.
Balance between Tradition and Modern Consumption Practices
We are committed to persisting, standing alongside the community for 8 years. This duration is long enough to understand each other, to trust one another, to be “conservative” about what must be “conserved,” and to innovate according to the heart’s advice:
Preserve the “Conservative” Nature in Traditional Sugarcane Production
– Respect the traditional sugarcane production process (100% freshly squeezed sugarcane juice, using sugarcane residue as fuel, boiling in a high-quality cast iron pan, hot filtration through ceramic filters, stirring and pouring into wooden molds…)
– Maintain the original architecture and location of areas (sugarcane storage area, sugarcane pressing area with a roof, waste collection area (sugarcane residue), sugarcane boiling area, sugarcane stirring area, pouring into molds area…)
Innovate to Adapt to Modern Consumption Practices
– Add a cooling filtration system (including reverse and forward filtration)
– Lime made from clamshell lime
– Update tools like wooden containers for unrefined sugarcane juice, wooden molds, pouring tables…
– Cube-shaped sugar (instead of bat-shaped sugar) for easy use and storage
– Packaging using paper, PE bags with VSATTP certification, no need for straw.
Proudly Preserving Quang Culture
As a native of Quang region, Noom and the people here are always proud of the things they have “conserved” together, or more accurately, the preservation of the inherent culture in each Quang resident. Thanks to this, the unique sweetness of each sugarcane juice cube is preserved in this last sugarcane mill:
– Sweetness remains “conservatively” intact in Noom’s raw sugarcane juice (sugar accounts for >50% of the composition in sugarcane juice). Refined sugar has lost all of its natural sweetness, while the essence of sugar is a source of vitamins, minerals, and essential nutrients for the body. Yellow sugar, brown sugar, black sugar, molasses, and centrifugal sugar have lost most of the valuable sweetness of this land.
– Noom’s sugarcane juice retains the unique taste of sweetness, sourness, bitterness, saltiness, and the fragrant aroma of honey, blending easily with the colors and aromas of various other ingredients.
– Only sugarcane plants that are not fertilized with synthetic chemicals, but enriched with potassium, can produce solid raw sugarcane juice. White sand sugar, refined sugar, can be mass-produced with ease because any type of sugarcane and cultivation method can be refined.
– Through the cooling filtration system (reverse and forward filtration) and hot filtration (long heating), maximum hygiene and purity are ensured.
If you’re curious or still remember the taste of bat-shaped sugar from the past, try Noom’s raw sugarcane juice directly produced in the last raw sugarcane mill in Quang Nam, led by an experienced artisan with over 30 years of experience.
For the sake of family health, the article linked in the comments will explain why traditional delicacies “surpass” common industrial foods/flavors today.
Thank you for reading this far, for caring with Noom, and for cherishing the traditions of our homeland as well as our own health and family!
Ingredients for Production
The ingredients for handcrafted sugarcane production only include fresh sugarcane juice and lime water.
Summary of the Traditional Handcrafted Sugarcane Production Process
The only additive used is lime water to remove impurities and scum.
The lime is handmade by Noom, burned using wood charcoal on-site. The raw materials for making lime come from shells and cleaned clams.
Modern machines and hygienic materials are used, including stainless steel or solid steel machinery, and wood.
The sugarcane is washed with high-pressure water before pressing. The pressing machine is made of solid iron.
Boiling is done in a cast iron pan.
Stored in wooden containers, wooden molds.
All processing tools are made of stainless steel and wood.
Fuel is provided by sugarcane residue, environmentally friendly.
Stored and preserved in packaging that meets VSATTP standards.
Packaged in paper, directly in contact with ready-to-eat food.